Student & Child Privacy Center
Updates on emerging student privacy and cybersecurity issues and best practices.
With over 130 state student privacy laws being passed since 2014, new federal regulations on the horizon and school cyber attacks becoming unfortunately more frequent, the AASA Student & Child Privacy Center is designed to bridge the resource gap by providing low-barrier insights to stakeholders, especially those who do not have access to costly legal expertise.
- Distributes rapid-response stakeholder alerts when there are significant developments in the student and child privacy landscape
- Publishes short resources on student and child privacy issues for AASA stakeholders
- Provides technical assistance in the new Data Integration Support Center through our partnership with WestEd
- Provides non-partisan legislative tracking and analysis related to student and child privacy issues for the AASA Advocacy & Governance team
- Disseminates student privacy and cybersecurity insights through public speaking engagements and being a resource for the press
Updates & Alerts
May 25, 2023A Wild 48 Hours for Federal Student Privacy
This text is an excerpt from a longer blog post from the Student & Child Privacy Center and Public Interest Privacy Center.
April 28, 2023Student Data and Privacy Testimony at Congressional Hearing
Amelia Vance, director of AASA’s Student and Child Privacy Center, testified before the Subcommittee on Innovation, Data, and Commerce of the Committee on Energy and Commerce.
April 19, 2023AASA Responds to Senate Request for Information About Education Sciences Reform Act
AASA sent a letter, joint between its advocacy team and the Student and Child Privacy Center, providing information about improving federal education research.
April 13, 2023ED Issues Two New Guidance Docs on FERPA
March 31, 2023Recap of the Parents Bill of Rights - Part Two
We're got a recap of the Parents Bill of Rights. This is Part Two
Meet the Team
The Student & Child Privacy Center is staffed through the newly formed Public Interest Privacy Center, an emerging nonprofit being incubated at AASA and led by Amelia Vance, a globally recognized student privacy expert who has been a leader in the student privacy space for over a decade.