National Superintendent of the Year®
To be eligible for the National Superintendent of the Year® Award, candidates must first be named by their state association as the State Superintendent of the Year.
Any AASA Affiliate Association State Superintendent of the Year® who plans to continue in the profession may be nominated or apply.
This program is designed to recognize the outstanding leadership of active, front-line superintendents. It is not recognition of service at retirement or a program to reward current state or national leaders.
Each candidate for the National Superintendent of the Year® Award must first be named by their state association as the State Superintendent of the Year.
Each State Superintendent of the Year is judged on the following criteria:
- Leadership for Learning: Creativity in successfully meeting the needs of students in his or her school system.
- Communication: Strength in both personal and organizational communication.
- Professionalism: Constant improvement of administrative knowledge and skills, while providing professional development opportunities and motivation to others on the education team.
- Community Involvement: Active participation in local community activities and an understanding of regional, national, and international issues.
NOTE: Nominations and Applications are now Closed
Nominations must be completed using this online form.
NOTE: To be eligible for the AASA National Superintendent of the Year® Award, nominees must first be awarded their state superintendent of the year designation.
Current State Superintendents of the Year can submit applications using this online form.
Applications are due by November 1 annually.
- November 1: Deadline for all State Superintendents of the Year to complete the National Superintendent of the Year® application
- December: National Superintendent of the Year® finalists notified
- January: Four finalists participate in a national briefing and interviews at the National Press Club in Washington, D.C.
- February: National Superintendent of the Year® is announced and all State Superintendents of the Year are honored on stage at the AASA National Conference on Education
- November: Superintendent of the Year Gala and Forum is held in honor of all State Superintendents of the Year and the National Superintendent of the Year® winner.
Congratulations to the 2023 AASA National Superintendent of the Year®
Kevin McGowan, superintendent, Brighton Central Schools (N.Y.)
Kevin McGowan has been the Superintendent of the Brighton Central School District since 2009. He began his career as an elementary teacher in the Starpoint Central School District before becoming a High School Assistant Principal at Iroquois High School and then an elementary principal at Wales Primary School.
Frequently Asked Questions
Contact your state association to inquire about its State Superintendent of the Year selection process and application deadlines. Timelines vary from state to state.
AASA has affiliate relationships with many state associations. View them here.
The honorees will be recognized on Thursday at the opening general session.
Yes, guests can attend the general session. They will be allowed to enter the hall once the doors open (approximately 10 minutes before session start time).