Case Study: Harford County Public Schools (Md.)
July 24, 2023
How one AASA Learning 2025 Demonstration System is Preparing Every Student for Success Beyond K-12 Education
AASA Learning 2025 Demonstration Systems are creating student-centered, equity-focused, and future-driven educational systems that serve ALL learners
Harford County Public Schools, located in Bel Air, Maryland, has the eighth largest enrollment of the 24 public school systems in the state. As part of it's commitment to the implementation of the Blueprint for Maryland's Future state legislation, its programs and services include:
- Early Childhood Education: e.g., expansion of full-day Pre-K programs and working with private pre-K providers, and ensuring kindergarten readiness.
- Elevating Educators: e.g., hiring and retaining high quality and diverse employees, creating a career ladder for teachers, and providing talent pathways for future educators.
- North Star Goals: e.g., College and Career Readiness; college-level coursework, dual enrollment/credit, career credentials, and support plans for students for post-graduation success.
- Student Supports: e.g., behavioral and health services, community schools and health centers, and services for Special Education and English Learners.
In complement to its vision, mission, and core values, the school system identified four long-term goals:
- Prepare every student for success in post-secondary education and career.
- Engage families and the community to be partners in the education of our students.
- Hire and support highly effective staff who are committed to building their own professional capacity in order to increase student achievement.
- Provide safe, secure, and healthy learning environments conducive to effective teaching and learning, creativity, and innovation.
Quick District Facts:
District Enrollment: 38,000 students
- 33 Elementary Schools
- 9 Middle Schools
- 9 Comprehensive High Schools
- The Harford Academy ( a day school for students with disabilities)
- Harford Technical High School
- Swan Creek School (options for students, including an eLearning Blended Virtual Program for students grades 1-12)