When conducting a behavior-based interview of candidates for an administrative opening in your school district, you can draw from these sample questions.
Knowledge of Students
• Tell about your experiences with students in this age range.
• How have you worked to help students move to the next level of education and/or toward graduation?
Curriculum and Management for Learning
• What approaches have you used to ensure the mandated curriculum was covered in a limited amount of time?
• How have you helped lead other teachers in organizing the curriculum?
• Describe a classroom management plan you have used and a schoolwide one with which you are familiar.
• How have you been able to raise student achievement in the classroom, grade-level or school setting?
• Describe an experience where you had to explain standardized test results to parents, other teachers or a school board.
• Tell about successful remediation programs that you have used.
Personnel, Hiring, Induction
• Tell us about your experience in hiring teachers.
• How have you helped a single teacher or group of teachers through mentoring or induction?
• Tell us about your supervisory experiences of new and experienced teachers.
Facilities, Budget, School Safety
• Describe your experiences with budget cuts, reallocation of funds or monitoring a budget.
• Tell us about your experiences with managing school facilities. What are the special issues for _____ (an elementary school, a middle school, a high school)?
• Describe special emergency measures with which you are familiar (violence prevention, tornadoes, snow days, etc.).
Public Relations, Communicating With Parents
• How have you involved parents/families in the classrooms and schools where you have worked?
• What has been your involvement with extracurricular activities? How can they inspire community involvement?
• Describe presentations you have made in your community to parents, school board members, professional associations or other teachers.
• Tell us about an incident from your experience that required knowledge of school law.
Leadership, Vision, Professionalism
• Describe a meeting you have led.
• Describe any experiences you have had working with a school board.
• Tell about your experiences with school accreditation.
• Describe your vision for our school here.
• What resources do you use to stay current and informed in the field?
— Compiled by Mary Clement