Hurricane Sandy, 2013 Preparedness Summit, New Reports
Hurricane Sandy updates, prepared by Working Group on Pandemic and All-Hazards Preparedness.
- Huffington Post: Healthcare System Bends Under Hurricane Sandy But Doesn’t Break.
- Bellevue hospital is being evacuated.
- NPR: Sandy Leaves Long List of Health Threats.
- ABC News: Sandy’s Blackout Threatens to Destroy Trove of Medical Research.
- FEMA Press release: FEMA and Federal Partners Continue Steadfast Support for Areas Affected by Superstorm.
- HHS: More than 500 HHS personnel are deployed to provide assistance to states. HHS’ Sandy page.
- Sec. Sebelius declared a public health emergency for NY.
- HHS is encouraging healthcare professionals who would like to volunteer to register with ESAR-VHP.
- Another major disaster response issue to consider, Sandy Knocks out 25% of Cell Service in Its Path.
- Individuals and businesses in CT, NY and NJ can apply for disaster assistance. And how to avoid scams.
- CDC’s hurricane preparedness & response resources, including safety, mental health, and food safety.
- The 2013 Public Health Preparedness Summit, which will take place March 12-15 in Atlanta, has announced its opening plenary session: A Community United: An Integrated Response to the Aurora Mass Shooting.
- CIDRAP: FDA Probe Prompts Recall from Second Compounding Pharmacy.
- The October 2012 Public Health Practices update is available, including a focus on protecting the health of pregnant women and infants during an emergency, climate change, and other topics.
- National Influenza Vaccination Week (NIVW) will be held Dec. 2-8, 2012. Visit www.cdc.gov/flu/nivw for related updates and to submit your NIVW activities to the calendar of events.
- GAO has publicly released a report prepared in September: FDA Can Better Oversee Food Imports by Assessing and Leveraging Other Countries’ Oversight Resources.
- It’s Diabetes Month, and flu.gov has information about the unique risks associated with diabetes and the flu.
- CIDRAP: CDC: Extensive Swine Contact was Key in H3N2v Cases.