Publications and Resources
Alternative School Breakfast
- Better Together: Collaborating to Improve Student Success and Well-Being (PDF)
This report will be of interest to anyone desiring to develop, manage and sustain a statewide collaboration. It chronicles the development of an initiative created under the CDC asthma project.
- In the Schoolyard and Beyond: Addressing Childhood Asthma in Your Community
Families who have a child with asthma can work with schools and youth-serving organizations to create and sustain asthma-friendly environments. In the Schoolyard and Beyond focuses on six overarching actions that demonstrate how families, communities, and schools can create a coordinated approach to the management of childhood asthma. Available in English (PDF) and Spanish (PDF).
- It Takes a Community: Helping Parents Create a Healthy, Safe Environment for Children with Asthma (PPT)
This companion piece to In the Schoolyard provides parents with tangible takeaways for communicating to schools about a child’s asthma.
- Powerful Practices: A Checklist for School Districts Addressing the Needs of Students with Asthma (PDF) - This checklist is intended for school administrators to use to help identify areas of asthma management your district is already doing well, as well as areas on which to focus attention.
- School Governance & Leadership, Spring 2003 (PDF) - This issue of School Governance & Leadership covers asthma, indoor air quality, asthma management, policies and procedures in schools, and liability and litigation issues.
- Questions School Leaders Frequently Ask About Asthma - This Web page contains questions most asked about asthma by superintendents and other school leaders.
Community Wellness: Comprehensive City-School Strategies to Reduce Childhood Obesity- Published by AASA and the National League of Cities' Youth, Education, and Families Institute, this report features the experiences of six communities where city and school district leaders partnered in the development of community-wide wellness plans.
Healthy Learning News (PDF) - These short and informative newsletters feature school districts from across the country that are making positive program and policy changes in the areas of healthy eating and active living.
School Governance & Leadership, Spring 2006 (PDF) - This issue of School Governance & Leadership covers school policy and practice in combating childhood obesity, including how districts can encourage healthy eating and active living within the school environment.
Children's Health Insurance
School Governance & Leadership
, (Fall 2013) - This issue of School Governance & Leadership
covers the great work accomplished by eight school districts to enroll eligible children in Medicaid and CHIP.
Healthy School Environments
- Building Success, Leading Change: Stories of Healthy School Environments (PDF) - This publication highlights the accomplishments of two district members of the AASA Urban Healthy Schools Coalition. These districts share their successes of using superintendent leadership and collaboration to create environments conducive to learning. This publication includes a CD-ROM with forms, action plans, checklists and other useful resources school districts can tailor for their own use.
- Putting the Pieces Together: An Urban School Leader's Guide to Healthy Indoor Environments - This guide offers practical action steps for every leadership role so that the school indoor air environment is less uncomfortable, inadequate and unhealthy.
- Indoor Air Quality and the Environment (PowerPoint) - This presentation can be used to engage school leaders or district staff around the issue of indoor air quality in schools.
- Schoolhouse in the Red (2004 edition) - This book includes information on the state of school facilities, indoor air quality, financing improvements, asthma, energy efficiency, liability and litigation.
- School Health (The School Administrator, January 2003) - This issue of the magazine covers a variety of school health issues, including indoor air quality, asthma management and prevention, and creative nursing solutions.
For hard copies of any of these publications, contact Mlatibe Seidou at firstname.lastname@example.org.