As mentioned in a blog post earlier this week, AASA endorses the Formula Fairness Campaign. AASA is most actively engaged in advocating for legislation that addresses the unintended perversion of Title I funding distribution that comes from number weighting. A legislative fix is slated for introduction next week, and here's everything you need to know:
Congressmen Glenn “GT” Thompson (R-PA), G.K. Butterfield (D-NC), and other original co-sponsors of the All Children are Equal (ACE) Act will hold a news conference on Tuesday, July 12th at 11:15am in 441 Cannon House Office Building on Capitol Hill to present the Title I formula reform legislation to reporters and the public.
Representing the Formula Fairness Campaign will be:
- Noelle Ellerson, Assistant Director, Policy Analysis and Advocacy, American Association of School Administrators
- LaRuth Gray, Government Relations and Legislative Liaison, National Alliance of Black School Educators
- Joe Bard, Executive Director of Pennsylvania Association of Rural and Small Schools and Chairman of the National Rural Education Advocacy Coalition
- Marty Strange, Policy Director, Rural School and Community Trust
If you can come or can send a representative that would be great. If you cannot come, there are still some things you can do that would be most helpful:
Share the following documents with your Member of Congress asking her or him to co-sponsor the All Children are Equal Act.
- ACE One-pager, explaining the bill, the issues it addresses, and how it addresses them
- Formula Fairness Campaign Info sheet
To do so, contact Matthew Brennan, Legislative Director, Congressman Glenn “GT” Thompson, 124 Canon HOB, email@example.com, or call 202.225.5121.